Bitter gourd (Karela) is well known for its medicinal property but it carries a bitter taste too. Ever wondered, how to make a dish with goodness of Karela minus its bitterness#? Which will be loved by non Karela lovers too.. (of course Karela lovers will also like it).
So here is the recipe “DRY KARELA PYAJ” with all goodness of Karela and a finger licking taste you cannot forget….
5 – 6 medium size bitter gourds (karela)
2 Large onions chopped in ring shape
½ tea spoon of turmeric powder (haldi powder)
½ tea spoon dry mango powder
2 table spoon of olive or mustard oil (one 1 tbsp in case you will use air fryer)
2 table spoon of Pachphoran masala*
Salt to taste
- Wash bitter gourds very well by soaking them in plain water for some time to remove all dirt from the surface as we are not going to peel them.
- Cut its point at both ends and cut bitter gourds in long slices. Cut the onions in round slices and open them in rings.
- In a mixing bowl pour 2 table spoon of oil add turmeric, pachporan and salt then mix well.
- Add onions rings and slices of bitter gourds in the bowl and mix it with spices, marinate it for 15 minutes.
- Then take a pan and heat it and then transfer the mix in the pan.
- Using a spatula keep it stirring slowly on a medium flame till this is well cooked.
- Add dry mango powder and mix it well with the cooked portion in the pan.
- Keep cooking till slices of karela and onion rings turn golden brown and appear crispy.
- Transfer the ready DRY KARELA PYAJ in a serving dish.
The delicious and healthy DRY KARELA PYAJ is ready now enjoy it with dal – rice or Roti/Paratha as per your taste.
To make a healthier version you can use air fryer in place of gas burner cook top, the recipe is same and you can make it with just 1 table spoon of oil.
* Pachforan masala is ready available at the grocery store in your vicinity if not you can make it by mixing Jeera, methi, saunff, kalonji and Rai in equal proportion (seeds of Cumin, fenugreek, fennel, nigella & mustard) see the pic for reference >>>